Don't Make New Year Resolutions: Instead Change Your Mindset
Every year, seriously every single year you see everyone getting engaged and then your timelines flood with New Year resolutions. Reality is that you will work out for maybe a week, you will cut out sugars for probably a day, and you will leave that job you absolutely hate maybe three years from now. My New Year resolution last year was to eat whatever food was put in front of me regardless if I thought I would like it or not. Now because I actually did this I now eat rice, salmon, and many other foods I just never liked before. FYI your taste buds do change as you get older so try that broccoli you hated growing up because you’ll probably love it now. I followed through with my resolution from 2017, 99 percent of people do not.
Okay now to my point. I am encouraging you to NOT make New Year resolutions. Here’s 5 reasons why:
- The odds of you actually leaving the negativity of 2018 in 2018 is slim to none. Nothing changes if nothing changes and unfortunately we are a species of habit. We don’t like to step out of our comfort zone and unless you step out of it today, on New Year’s and every single day in between your chances of changing the way you currently live are zero.
- It’s just a date and a time that occurs every single year. It is a magical mindset of hope that everything will turn around in the new year. Did anything change last year at this exact date and time? Yeah, didn’t think so.
- Your resolutions cannot happen one time during the year. They have to happen daily. They must happen in March, in August. They must happen every single day you wake up. And every single month of the year. You cannot sit back hoping to just leave behind all the negativity of this year because it wasn’t the year that caused the negativity, it was you, it was your mindset. You must become a daily resolutioner. You must set goals every day and have the mindset and motivation to achieve them.
- You must change your mindset about the negative influences in your life. Too often we allow someone to ruin our entire day, we never get that time back. We make resolutions to be kinder, to get a better job, to work out and lose weight, but also too often we ruin our own day by not believing in ourselves. If you make a goal with the mindset that you probably won’t be able to achieve it then it’s definite that you will not achieve it. You must have a mindset of I can do this and I will do this, and again you must have this mindset every single day not just for your one time new year resolution.
- If you want 2019 to be your year it starts NOW! It’s just a date. Just a time. You have to change your mindset now or you are going to have another negative year, and you’re going to find yourself hoping 2020 will be your year, but it will be the exact same repetition.
Don’t make New Year’s Resolutions, change your mindset. Nothing changes, if nothing changes. Instead of writing down your resolutions, write down all the ways you will change the way you think about yourself and how you will be able to actually accomplish the things you want to accomplish. Lose the weight, buy that house, get that job, start that company, just do it!
2019 is YOUR YEAR if you want it to be!